***BIG CHANGES IN THE WORKS***

***BIG CHANGES IN THE WORKS***

Be sure to stay tuned to this blog over the next couple of weeks. There are some fundamental changes in the works for this blog.

August 18, 2007

Now back to our regurlarly scheduled program...

My name is Glen. I live in Rochester, New York, am 24 years old and in the process of getting my Masters Degree in chemistry. I am a bit skittish about sharing personal information in such a public setting as the internet, so that is all for now. In time, there will be more.

I have messed around with a few blogs and webpages before... I want this one to stick though. I always seem to have a lot to say, so the blog this time around really needs to become an unhealthy compulsion so I have a constant outlet for it! I doubt anyone will read this though. Who really cares about the inner struggles and thoughts of another twenty-something in the world?

Let's bring you up to speed with my life. On the literature front, I just completed reading the Dan Brown novel, "Deception Point". For an aspiring scientist like my self who is also interested in politics and a good conspiracy story, this novel did it for me. Much like "The Da Vinci Code", it is a nonstop page turner that I always had trouble putting down. Not a good book to read on your lunch break when you need to promptly get back to work. It turned several short 20 minute lunch breaks into extended 50-60 minute thrilling reading sessions.



On the film front I rented and watched (as per the request of my girlfriend) "The Last Kiss". I recommend it to anyone in their twenties. This was a good movie, but rather depressing. The 4 men who were the main characters in their late twenties and dealing with the late stages of their "quarter life crisis". Michael, played by Zach Braff, had a career and a pregnant girlfriend but was not happy because things felt so permanent in his life. As if there would be no more surprises. He ends up fooling around with a young college coed to try to feel young again which, as one would expect causes some significant problems.

It was depressing to think that I want some of the things that he had in his life but once he had them, he was unhappy with them and wanted what he had earlier in his life. I feel a bit discontent with my current situation in life as I am going through this "quarter life crisis" experience as well. I have actually told my friends that sometimes I think it would be great to go back to being a high school teenager working at a fast food joint, living at home and having everything taking care of. It sure beats having to figure out how to manage personal finances, pursuing a degree and establishing a career.

It then seems like we are trapped in limbo, regardless of what age we are in life, we are unhappy with our current situation so we wish we can go back (but can not) and therefor look forward to our future. When our future arrives however, we become unhappy with that and then repeat the process all over again.

Notable quote from the film: "You can't fail if you don't give up."

No comments: