***BIG CHANGES IN THE WORKS***

***BIG CHANGES IN THE WORKS***

Be sure to stay tuned to this blog over the next couple of weeks. There are some fundamental changes in the works for this blog.

January 28, 2010

PBO - SOTU Address - 2010

Being the "arm chair" politician that I am, I of course watched the State of the Union address last night. I was pretty wiped out after playing volleyball, so I only watched until 10PM.

Three remarks I must make.

1. Not once in the time that I watched the speech did the President look directly into the camera and into the eyes of the American people viewing at home. He looked left... into his teleprompter. He looked right... into his teleprompter. It looked like he was watching the pendulum of a grandfather clock swinging... left, right, left, right. Mr. President, I beg of you... TALK TO US. Don't speak to us like a an anchor reading us the nightly news.

2. A noteworthy funny moment that I picked up on while watching. While describing the deficits built up over the past decade, the poor economic growth and getting into two wars without proper funding he never once said "I inherited this mess from President Bush/previous administration". He didn't use any of those words explicitly placing blame on Bush (but the message was clear without much subtlety). This was evident when immediately as the Pres said this, the camera showed Sen. McCain turning to his right and saying "Blame it on Bush". You could not hear him but you could clearly read his lips. It was the comical event of the night and made me laugh out loud. Mr. President, I beg of you... quit blaming the last guy in charge before you arrived. Not because I am a "Bush lover" but you knew what was going on before you took office (I recall you being a Senator, and I think they work in D.C. as well). You applied for the job of President, you knew the problems facing the office of the Presidency, you got the job... TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!

3. I went to sleep before seeing this one but... you called out the Supreme court!? WTF? As I recall from my grade school social studies class, the Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) is one of three branches of government that are co-equal in power. You can't tell them what to do. It is their job to interpret the laws passed by the legislative branch and how they are enforced by the executive branch. Why call them out on a ruling they made? Mr. President, I beg of you... go READ A COPY OF THE CONSTITUTION you took an oath to uphold.

No comments: