***BIG CHANGES IN THE WORKS***

***BIG CHANGES IN THE WORKS***

Be sure to stay tuned to this blog over the next couple of weeks. There are some fundamental changes in the works for this blog.

January 21, 2010

Twentysomething... A Recent Read.

I recently completed reading a book that Emily got me for Christmas. I was quite surprised by the gift because I had forgotten that it was even on my list of books I wanted to read. The book is called: "Twentysomething: Surviving and Thriving in the Real World".

http://cache.gifts.com/photos/Z/C/U/G/ZCUGG7MADHDUQ6ZPK8Q7_L.jpg

I knew the book would be about how to deal with the hardships and joys associated with living as a "twentysomething" but I did not expect there to be so much spirituality involved. A main emphasis of the book was
the importance of faith (particularly Catholicism). There is much talk in this book about how God has a plan for all of us. A concept hard for me to accept because it lies contrary to free will over our future.

Yet sometimes I wonder...

For instance, I spent a year of graduate school at SUNY Buffalo that turned out to be a nightmare. I made some poor decisions regarding which direction I wanted to go academically and it turned out to be a nightmare for me. I realized this, made some tough decisions and transferred to RIT for my Masters Degree. While this was going on I thought, "Why the heck is this happening to me?"

A couple of years later at Nazareth (my Alma mater) while sitting on a informational panel for undergrads looking to go on to graduate school, I was able to share my experience. In doing so, I hopefully allowed others to learn something and avoid going through a similar experience as I did.

Without going through the tough patches I did, I would have been unable to share the experience and help others.

So does God have a plan... sometimes I wonder.

No comments: