***BIG CHANGES IN THE WORKS***

***BIG CHANGES IN THE WORKS***

Be sure to stay tuned to this blog over the next couple of weeks. There are some fundamental changes in the works for this blog.

July 29, 2008

Running... remember? It was that thing I used to do.

Recently it seems my running has dropped off nearly completely. A few weeks ago I had a nasty experience of vomiting, depleted electrolytes and possibly some mild dehydration following a 13 mile run. In the days following that run my legs were fine. No aches, pains or soreness at all. What gave me continued problems was my stomach.

Back when I was a sophomore in college I was diagnosed with acid reflux and GERD (I forget now what stands for). Prescription medications calmed my stomach down over the following year. I went off the medication and for a couple of years I was fine with only sporadic incidents of heartburn.

More recently, in the beginning of June I actually came down with a severe case of stomach flu (should have wrote about that during my unexplained June hiatus) that involved lots of vomiting and a trip to the emergency room to replace the fluids I lost via IV. Ever since then my stomach has not calmed down. I have been waking up in the morning with heartburn having eaten nothing before bed the night before. The pain has sometimes continued through the day. I also end up feeling nauseous about half way through eating breakfast, which limits how much I can eat.

The doctors are sending me in for some tests because I do not have the typical risk factors for such problems they are observing. This all has me fairly discouraged. If I can't eat it is difficult for me to refuel and replenish my body. I don't know how to safely replace electrolytes without aggravating my stomach. Gatoraid may have been responsible for setting off my stomach at the completion of that 13 mile run.

Anyway, it feels like I am just making excuses for my self. I need to get out of this rut and get some discipline back again. I have already counted my self out of the Rochester marathon because I have not been able to log the essential mileage for racing such a distance.

Perhaps discussing such things in an open public forum will force me to get my ass in gear.

No comments: