***BIG CHANGES IN THE WORKS***

***BIG CHANGES IN THE WORKS***

Be sure to stay tuned to this blog over the next couple of weeks. There are some fundamental changes in the works for this blog.

March 24, 2008

Happy Easter... and WTF is a swieconka basket!?

I do hope that everyone who celebrated Easter had a good one. Mine was unseasonably cold!


I took the opportunity to make my own swieconka (pronounced sh-ve-yen-sohn-ka) basket to be blessed on the Saturday before Easter! For all of those who are unfamiliar, that is a Polish Easter tradition that my family has participated in for as far back as I can remember. What is involved? Well, some polish sausage to start (left). Then a butter lamb, some oranges, rye bread, hard boiled eggs and placzek (cinnamon bread coffee cake in this case).

Throw it all in a basket, cover it with a cloth and it's all ready for the priest to bless it. When that is said and done, set aside in the refrigerator. Come Easter morning you wake up, find your chocolate bunnies and Easter baskets and enjoy your swieconka basket for breakfast. Mmmmm... yummy!
I spent the holiday with Emily and her family. She enjoyed the swieconka basket tradition that I shared with her. We pretty much ate our selves sick with ham, potatoes, fruit, carrots and deserts. Look how Emily pretty much tired her self out from all the fun and eating (below). I think it was a good holiday even though we both were kind of miserable for having to do school work all weekend.
She's going to kill me for posting this picture! ;-)

No comments: